INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE PROGRAM 2012
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Universidad Bolivariana (UB) is a private educational institution located in Santiago, the capital city of Chile. The University was founded in 1988 during the reconstruction of civil society and transition to democracy. UB is a value-based community with a transformative approach to global and local development. UB represents an alternative world perspective and is concerned with human development, sustainable development and future generations.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Department of International Programs, offers thematic field-based study abroad programs; regular university courses to international students and exchange programs for students and faculty.
The character of the programs ensures that you get insights into the most important aspects of Chilean and Latin American culture, society and sustainable economic development.
Students participate in intensive Spanish courses, which help to insert them in the local culture, and also regular courses of the different careers of the University.
Class hours are combined with cultural immersion, visits and excursions in order to secure the students with a dynamic “hands-on” experience for a more comprehensive approach lo learning.
INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE PROGRAM 2012
YEAR AND SEMESTER ABROAD PROGRAM
The Year/Semester Abroad Program offers foreign students an opportunity to experience a Latin American university while enrolling in regular courses for one or two semesters.
ONE YEAR PROGRAM
March To December 2012
- Participate in intensive Spanish courses giving students the ability to speak fluently, read and write the language. The teaching of language is complemented with tourist and cultural activities.
- Participate in regular classes of the different careers offered by the University. Students choose courses from a predetermined list that has been elaborated according to criteria of general interest and academic level of foreign students. Some disciplines in which the UB offers regular courses are: Law, Psychology, Social Work, Geography and Dance & Theatre.
Visits to places of interest depending of the campus where they will be studying. Some places could be: Valparaiso, Santiago’s cultural patrimony, Tololo Observatory.
Visit Mendoza, an Argentina’s city, and participate in a cultural and academic program that is given indistinctively by the Universidad Nacional de Cuyo or by an International Program called Intercultural Exchange-Student.
A. Latin American International Seminar at the “Universidad Nacional de Cuyo”,
The objective of this activity is to learn about Latin American diversity and also know the city of Mendoza and its people. Some of the topics discussed at the Seminar will be:
- Latin American’s Bilateral Relations
- Integration Scenarios in Latin America: Evolution, Scope and Perspectives
- Human Development Index and Millennium Development Goals in Latin America: Achievements and Challenges
- Latin American Identity: Myth or Reality
- Manifestation and Measurement of Poverty in Latin America
B. Program Intercultural Exchange-Student.
This program allows students to discover another reality in South America: Argentina, with its history and culture. They also will learn and participate in the lives of young people in their daily university.
- Share experiences with organizations and communities of the region with an important participation of young people, on issues related to education, women development, family agriculture, and others.
- Participatory workshop about the socio-economic and political development of Argentina and Mendoza
- Know the history of wine and its elaboration process.
- Meet and interact with young students from Mendoza’s universities
- Enjoy and share the different places frequented by young students of the city
An on Hand Experience in a Mapuche Community
Live for a week in a Mapuche community, learning about their culture, organization, skills, economy and their relation with environment and natural resources (flora and fauna). Also know about their actual situation in Chile and what they expect for the future.
The Mapuche is the most important ethnic group in Chile, with a population of nearly one million people, who still retain their original language, mapundumgum, as well as the most important aspects of their culture.
March to July 2012
August to December 2012
The semester program has the same contents as the annual program, with the difference that the time period is shorter.
The cultural activities are maintained the same as the annual activities, except for the activities who take place in Mendoza, Argentina. In this case participation becomes optional and has an additional fee, USD 700.
- Year USD 6.000
- Semester USD 3.000
- Optional Semester Activity USD 700
From USD 300 to USD 400 (1 month)
YFU INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE-STUDENT
YFU is one of the worlds largest and most respected international educational exchange organizations, a network of over 50 independent national organizations worldwide. YFU works to advance learning across cultures.
YFU mission is to “give young people the opportunity to experience a unique cultural experience in a world of constant change and interdependence” where they can grow in full, develop their personality, value their own culture and view the future with an open mind responsible
Currently, UB offers to YFU students an exchange program, which provides them an opportunity to join a Chilean University, its students and environment. The program focuses on pre-university students who are interested in learning Spanish, and knowing the Latin culture and the multiple and fascinating continent that is Latin America.
Students will have an intensive Spanish course and regular courses, belonging to different careers of the University. Students choose courses from a predetermined list that has been elaborated according to criteria of general interest and academic level of foreign students. Beside, class hours are combined with cultural immersion, trips and visits to different places of Chile.
Los cursos, elegidos por el alumno, se complementan con la participación en actividades y experiencias relacionadas con las raíces de la cultura Latinoamericana, como compartir con una comunidad mapuche y an academic and cultural visit to the city of Mendoza, Argentina.
1.-An Academic and Cultural Visit to Mendoza
Students will participate in one of the two following activities, depending of its availability:
- Latin American International Seminar at the Universidad Nacional de Cuyo
- Intercultural Exchange-Student
2. – An On Hand Experience in a Mapuche Community
More information, you can request information at:
Phone: (56) (02) 577 6574